Use vegetarian Parmesan to make this recipe vegetarian
Food Main Courses Gluten-free
Marcello Tully, chef at Kinloch Lodge, Isle of Skye
Sunflower oil 15ml
Onion 100g finely diced
Garlic cloves 2 crushed
Tomato purée 14g
Tinned tomatoes 385g chopped
Vegetable stock cube 1 (GF)
Dried oregano ½ tsp
Tomato 190g roughly chopped
Fresh basil 10g chopped
Salt & pepper to season
Sunflower oil 50ml
Mozzarella cheese 80g grated
Parmesan 80g grated
- Make tomato sauce. Combine butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat until foaming, add onions and sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, tinned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Crumble stock cube and add to the pan with oregano, sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- In a jug, dilute cornflour with water before stirring into hot sauce. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Add most of the freshly chopped basil.
- Slice each aubergine into 4 pieces lengthways. Season each slice with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry the aubergine for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and place onto kitchen towel to drain.
- Layer half of the aubergine in a small casserole dish, pouring over some tomato sauce and add a sprinkling of parmesan and mozzarella. Repeat with rest of aubergine, sauce and top with cheeses.
- Cook in oven preheated to 160°C/gas mark 3 for 25 minutes.
Serve immediately with steamed green vegetables or salad. Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs. Visit their site for more delicious kids recipes - www.greatbritishchefs.com/collections