Make sure your stock is gluten free to appeal to more customers
Butternut Squash Risotto with Wild Mushrooms, Crispy Garlic and Sage
Food Main Courses Italian Gluten-free
The turn of the season calls for comforting risotto and, with the addition of wild mushrooms and sage, this is the best of autumn from Executive Chef Ryan Bolt.
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1cm dice, reserve the seeds
100ml double cream
1 onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves
250g wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
400g risotto rice
100ml white wine
1.2 l hot vegetable stock (gluten free)
75g grated Parmesan or vegetarian equivalent
20 sage leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Warm a dry pan and toast the seeds until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Place the squash in a tray, drizzle with oil and season. Roast until tender.
- Blitz half the roasted squash in a blender with the cream. Season, then pass through a sieve to get a smooth purée.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, sweat the onion with oil until translucent. Add 3 cloves of crushed garlic and the mushrooms, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir until reduced.
- Slowly add the stock a ladle at a time and keep stirring. When the rice is firm but cooked through, add the remaining squash, grated cheese and season to taste.
- Warm a little oil in a pan and fry the sage leaves and 2 cloves of fi nely sliced garlic until crispy. Drain on kitchen roll and season.
- Ladle the risotto into bowls and spoon the warm purée around. Garnish with the toasted seeds, garlic and sage.