Cinnamon, Orange & Clove Sablés
A recipe that oozes nostalgia as it reminds me of Christmas as a boy. The incredible flavours of orange and cloves take me back to a time when we had […]
75g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
150g butter, softened
1 vanilla bean
2 orange zest, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
250g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Mix sugar and butter together and beat with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds into the mixture. Add the orange zest and beat in.
- Gradually beat in eggs until well incorporated. Gently fold in flour, cinnamon and cloves with a large metal spoon, but do not over work the dough.
- Bring dough together into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate until needed – about 1 hour.
- Roll out dough until about 5 mm/1⁄4 inch thick. Stamp out stars with cookie cutters and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes on 170°C 7. Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm or cold with Christmas pudding ice cream or brandy sauce.