Cod Popcorn with Cucumber & Potato Salad
Food Main Courses
Luke Tipping, executive chef, Simpsons, Midlands
Plain flour 150g
Baking powder 2 ½ tsp
Cod fillet 200g boneless, cut into 1cm cubes
Shallots 2 chopped
Spring onions 2 chopped
Vegetable oil 1l
Salt & pepper pinch
Potatoes 4 large
Buttermilk 2 tbsp
Cucumber 1 peeled and cut into ribbons
Mayonnaise 2 tbsp
Chives 1 bunch, chopped
- Prepare cod batter by mixing flour, baking powder and milk. Whisk until it forms a thick pancake-like batter.
- Add diced cod, shallots, spring onions, salt and pepper to mixture. Fold together and put to one side
- Rinse and scrub potatoes. Make cylinder shapes using an apple core
- Add potatoes to large pan of boiling, salted water, simmer for 15 minutes on low heat until almost cooked. Drain carefully
- Heat deep fat fryer to 150°C
- Using a teaspoon, put cod in hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden.
- Remove cod and drain on kitchen towel.
- Combine potato and cucumber together in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix the mayonnaise, buttermilk and chives and pour over potato and cucumber.
Arrange cod popcorn on plates and serve
with the salad