Your gluten-free customers won't be missing out with this simple spin on the British classic.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake with Raspberries and Honeycomb
It might sound unusual, however mashed potato is a great ingredient in gluten-free cake baking as it keeps the cake moist.
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease and line two 23cm tins.
- Place the Smash Instant Mashed Potato into a bowl and add boiling water. Whisk to combine then leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs.
- Add the cooled prepared Smash Instant Mashed Potato, gluten-free plain flour, baking powder and McDougalls Cocoa Powder and whisk to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and bake for 30 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, place one cake on a plate and cover with raspberry jam. Beat 100ml of the cream to a soft whip, place this on top of the jam, then place the other cake on top.
- Heat up 50ml of double cream in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir to bring together as your chocolate covering.
- To make the honeycomb, place all the ingredients in a pan (except for the bicarb) and boil to a light caramel (150C).
- Whisk in the bicarb and pour onto a non-stick silicone baking mat to cool. Chop and reserve to sprinkle just before serving.
- To assemble, drizzle over the chocolate coating, and sprinkle with honeycomb and fresh raspberries.