Pan Fried Spicy Halloumi on Pepperonata
Food Main Courses Quick Meals Starters
Serve the pepperonata at room temperature or warm, and top with a few slices of the halloumi cheese.
Bell peppers 5 mixture of red, yellow and orange, de-seeded and sliced
Olive oil 6 tbsp
Onion 1 large, peeled and sliced
Garlic cloves 2, finely grated
Capers 2 tbsp, drained
Sultanas 1 large handful
Halloumi cheese 2 packets (goat’s milk, or use silken tofu for vegans)
Red & Black Pepper seasoning
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Freshly ground black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a heavy-based pan and add the onions. Reduce heat and cook without colouring for about five minutes.
- Add garlic and peppers. Cook without colouring for about 10 minutes on a medium heat until wilting.
- Season and add sultanas. Cook for 40 minutes on low heat until very soft and melting - add a little olive oil if the mixture is too dry. Stir occasionally.
- Add capers and check seasoning.
- Unwrap halloumi, slice into 1cm thick pieces.
- Heat a sauté pan, add a little vegetable oil and once hot add sliced halloumi cheese and cook over a medium heat for about five minutes until the underside starts to brown.
- Sprinkle a little red and black pepper seasoning onto the top sides of the cheese, flip over with a palette knife to cook the other side that you have seasoned.
- When cheese is browned on both sides, remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper to drain.