Upgrade a tasty fool with a warmly spiced topping.
Pan-Fried Duck, Duck Croquette, Endive & Granola
The duck can be swapped with chicken if duck isn’t available.
- Croquette: place the duck leg, thyme, garlic and stock in a deep pan. Cover with foil and roast for 3 hours at 140C, then remove and allow to cool slightly. Flake the meat from the bone. Mix some of the cooking liquid into the meat, then chill along with the cooking stock. Once the meat is cold, roll into balls then chill until needed. Put the stock to one side for later.
- Granola: mix the nuts with the honey and oats. Bake at 160C for 10-12 mins or until slightly golden. Remove and mix in the lemon zest, then set aside until needed.
- Purée: bring the rhubarb, 20g sugar, star anise and 100ml water to the boil and cook for 5-6 mins. Remove the star anise and blend until smooth. Sieve and place into a squeezy bottle ready for service.
- Endive: peel the leaves, then sprinkle with 20g sugar. Blowtorch until slightly charred.
Duck breast: season the breasts then pan fry skin-side down for 4-5 mins. Turn over and transfer to the oven. Cook for 4-5 mins at 180C, then remove, cover and rest. Once rested, slice each breast in half. Drain off excess fat from the pan and return to the heat. Deglaze with the orange juice and add the stock from the legs. Bring to the boil and
reduce by half.
- To finish: deep-fry the croquettes until crispy. Place half the duck breast on the plate, then add the endive, rhubarb purée and spoon over some of the sauce. Sprinkle over the granola and place three croquettes.