Desserts Food Italian Vegetarian
140g shelled hazelnuts
125g blanched almonds
70g plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp mixed spice
100g dried apricots, chopped
80g dried figs, chopped
125g plain chocolate (approx. 70% cocoa solids) chopped
125ml clear honey
75g caster sugar
75g soft light brown sugar
For dusting icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 22cm/8 ½ in springform cake tin with butter and line the base with baking paper. For a more authentic appearance, line the base with a round of edible rice paper.
- Put the hazelnuts and almonds on two baking trays and toast in oven for about 9 minutes, turning once, until starting to colour.
- Remove, leave to cool, then chop in half.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and mixed spice into a bowl and stir in dried apricots, figs and nuts.
- Combine chocolate, honey and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and set over a low heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Pour into flour mixture and mix well to combine.
- Spoon mixture into tin and working quickly before it sets, spread into an even layer, first with the back of the spoon, then with wet hands.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until just firm and leave to cool in the tin. Remove from tin, dust with icing sugar and serve cut into wedges.
- Serve cold by itself. Goes well with coffee.