Parsnip & Apple Soup
Food Quick Meals Starters
Andy Gabbitas, The Wortley Arms in Sheffield
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 medium onions, chopped
600g parsnips, cut into 2cm pieces
2 garlic cloves, crushed
600g Bramley apples, peeled, quartered and cut into chunks
1 ltr vegetable or chicken stock
Flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan. Gently fry onions and parsnips for 15 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add garlic and apples and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour over stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until parsnips are very soft.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Blend mixture in a food processor until smooth. Stir in cream, adding a little extra if required.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper Serve with parsnip crisps and homemade bread.