Roasted Celeriac, Blue Cheese & Apple Stack
Food Main Courses Starters Vegetarian
3 tbsp olive oil
200g apple, peeled, cored & chopped into 2cm cubes
500g celeriac, peeled & chopped into 1cm cubes
1 shallot, finely sliced
25g plain flour
100g vegetarian blue cheese, crumbled
300ml double cream
½ tsp rosemary, chopped
½ tsp thyme, chopped
16 sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
600g spinach frozen, chopped, defrosted & as much of the liquid squeezed out as possible
½ lemon, juice only
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 filo pastry packet
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Place the celeriac and apple in a lined roasting tin and drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until the vegetables have started to soften.
- Once the apple and celeriac are nearly cooked, fry the shallot in the butter then mix in the flour. Melt in the cheese then slowly add the double cream. Cook until you are left with a fairly thick mixture then add the apple, celeriac and chopped herbs. Set aside.
- Warm the sundried tomatoes in a pan for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Warm the spinach in a frying pan with the garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Cut the filo into 12 circles with the food ring and place on a baking sheet. Brush with oil and bake in the oven for 5 minutes - be careful as they cook quickly. Leave to cool down.
Place a piece of the filo into the food ring then spoon over some of the cream mixture, add a layer of spinach and finally tomato. Continue again to make another layer and top the stack with a third piece of filo. Carefully remove the food ring and serve immediately.