Simnel Cake Cupcakes
275g caster sugar
150ml sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g full fat cream cheese
4 medium eggs
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
Icing sugar for rolling
- Place 12 paper muffin cases in a muffin tray and pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Roll marzipan out and cut 12 discs about 5cm in diameter and 12 about 6cm in diameter and stack to one side.
- Beat the sugar, oil, honey and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth then beat in the eggs until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the currants and raisins, then sift in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice and stir well.
- Spoon about 1-2cm of mixture in each muffin case and top with the smaller marzipan discs. Press the disc down gently to remove any air pockets and then spoon more of the mixture on top to three-quarter fill the case. Bake for 25 to 30 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- When out of the oven, top with the cakes with the remaining larger marzipan discs. Press the discs down gently and around. Heat from the cupcakes will soften the marzipan and seal it on. Roll the extra marzipan into balls and use to top the buns or add your own decoration - see image for inspiration.