Spicy Chorizo & Bean Soup
Food Quick Meals Starters
250g haricot beans, soaked overnight (good quality)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic gloves, chopped
2.5cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
1 red chilli, split
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp tomato puree
2 litres hot chicken stock
Salt and fresh black pepper
200g fat prawns
200g hot chorizo sausage, chopped
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Soak the haricot beans overnight in plenty of cold water; drain them when ready to cook.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the prawns, onions, garlic, ginger and chilli until the onions are translucent.
- Add the paprika and cook for a minute or two, then add the tomatoe puree and cook again, stirring so that you are almost frying the puree.
- Now add the drained beans and pour in half the hot chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil, and cover the pan and simmer for one and a half hours or until the beans are tender.
- Add the lentils and the remaining litre of stock and cook for a furthur 30 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
- To finish off, heat chopped chorizo in a hot pan and scatter over the soup with the coriander just before serving. Serve with crusty bread and a small green salad.