Sweet Apple Pancakes with a Spicy Plum Sauce
Desserts Food Vegetarian
Large eggs 2
Calvados 2 tbsp (optional)
Butter 30ml melted
Brown sugar 2 tbsp
Eating apples 4, peeled and cut into chunks or quarters
Vanilla bean 1, split
Cinnamon stick 1 (small) or 2 lemon verbena leaves
SPICY PLUM SAUCE
Caster sugar 500g
Vanilla bean 1 scraped
Cinnamon ½ stick
Ripe plums 1kg halved and stoned
Star anise 1
- Put eggs, water and milk into a stainless steel bowl, whisk together and add flour and salt, stir in butter.
- Add calvados (if using), and refrigerate batter for at least ½ hour or overnight.
- Before use, strain batter through a sieve.
- Melt butter and sugar in a wide based frying pan.
- Add apple and spice and cover for five minutes until fruit has softened.
- Remove lid and watch closely. Once tender, increase heat and shake gently as apple becomes lightly caramelised. Pour out of the frying pan on to a clean tray and allow to cool.
SPICY PLUM SAUCE
- Put all ingredients except plums into a large stainless steel saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add plums and cook over a low heat for 1 hour. Press contents of saucepan through a fine sieve. Thin down with a little orange juice if needed. Set aside.
- Put about 2 tbsp of apple filling mixture on each pancake 1” from the edge and roll pancake up tucking the ends in as you go.
- Repeat with the other pancakes and place on a baking tray, shake icing sugar on top of the pancakes and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Pour the plum sauce into the middle of 4 dessert plates.
- Remove pancakes from the oven and place on the centre of the plum sauce and top with an ice-cream of your choice.