Wild Mushroom Stroganoff
Food Main Courses Vegetarian
The Vegetarian Society
Potatoes 675g peeled and cut into chunks
Milk or soya milk 150ml
Fresh mixed herbs 1tbsp finely chopped
Butter or margarine 40g
White mushrooms 450g assorted, roughly chopped
Garlic 2 cloves, crushed
Double cream 150ml
Breadcrumbs 50g fresh white
Fresh herbs 2 tbsp finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender. Drain and return to the pan.
- Heat the milk, pour over the potatoes and mash well.
- Stir in the herbs and season to taste.
- Melt 15g butter or margarine in a pan. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, season to taste then heat gently - cover and keep warm.
- Melt the remaining 25g of butter or margarine in a pan and stir in the breadcrumbs, herbs and season to taste.
- To assemble, serve individually by placing equal portions of the mashed potato on each plate. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the top, and finish with the topping.
- Toast under a hot grill until golden brown.